The jigsaw along with the usual drill is one of the most common tools in the toolkit as a simple home masters and professional masters finisher. This is due to the wide versatility of this tool.
Jigsaw capable of a tremendous degree to make your life easier, if you have to deal with the sawing of wood, plastic, metal, drywall – it is able to do both straight and curved cuts. Also (when using a saw blade with diamond coating) it is possible to cut ceramic tiles.
However, the jigsaw has its limitations regarding capacity and operation time. But, on the other hand, if you want the clock to dissolve the thick timber and Board you need to buy a jigsaw, stationary circular saw.
By design, the best jigsaws can be divided into a tool with a purely vertical movement of the saw and with additional pendulum mode (sometimes referred to as orbital). Also, the jigsaws are divided into models with a cord (from the mains) and battery (fully Autonomous).
How jigsaw works
In the embodiment of the vertical movement of the blade, the rotation of the motor is converted to gear reducer in a simple reciprocating motion, which is transmitted to the blade. This principle of movement is traditional for all the most popular.
The design of the jigsaw with plus a pendulum swing a bit more complicated. Saw it while driving up (when cut material) is fed forward, and when it comes back down (idle), then it is moved back. That is, it moves not in a vertical line, and elongated oval.
To obtain the pendulum motion to the above-described mechanism added a special pin, which swings rollerblade. The roller pushes the blade forward and releases ago. In modern models of jigsaws provided by the stepwise adjustment of the feeding pendulum mechanism.
The pendulum movement of the saw blade can significantly speed up the cutting process. Its main drawback is rough, not too high-quality RES. Therefore, the pendulum mode is used mainly when roughing parts made of wood, plywood, chipboard. Where you want quality and pure propyl, pendulum motion turned off.
Remember: use the pendulum mode when cutting curly is hugely undesirable! It leads to increased load on the mechanism jigsaws and overheats the blade. Also, do not include pendulum motion when cutting metal.
The primary criterion of choice – the ability of power tools. It directly affects both the thickness of the material that will be “in the teeth” of this model, and the cutting speed.
As with all power tools, electric jig saws are divided into household and professional. Power jigsaws household usually starts at 350 watts and can reach up to 700 watts. The upper threshold of most professional models 1000 watts, but there are jigsaws power and 1500 watts. If you are going to cut sheet metal or sticky wood rapidly, a jigsaw power should be no less than 700 watts.
When you select the correct model jigsaws strongly advise you to pay attention not only to its capacity but also on the maximum depth of cut. For comparison: the most powerful household jigsaws are able to cut a Board thickness up to 7 cm, professional – up to 14 cm.
Note: the higher the power of the tool, the higher will be its weight. Come to the question of buying best jigsaw you need power wise. Too much “headroom” you may not be necessary, but hands heavy jig will delay for sure. This disadvantage can not pay attention to only those, for which the maximum performance of the instrument is crucial.
The jigsaw must be possible to change the stroke frequency. Buying a tool without this feature is highly undesirable. Single speed jigsaw can be used successfully except that when sawing wood (standard rates usually are calculated just on this material).
The frequency of stroke among modern most popular comes to 3,500 strokes per minute. For the safety of the saw blade on many models can be closed during operation, a safety shield made of transparent plastic.
The speed of the jigsaw can be fixed and smoothly. Fixed stroke rate exhibited a special switch located on the housing of the best jigsaw. During time saw it remains unchanged. Smooth control is in the process of sawing. This is possible for those models which are equipped with a sensitive start button (the harder you press, the faster moving blade). But remember: active use “forced” mode speeds up not only cutting the material but also the wear of the saw blade.
Stroke rate is crucial for the speed and cleanliness of cut and optimal rate when you work with different materials here are entirely different. Accordingly, the more range of adjustment, the greater number of materials can work a jigsaw.
General rule: high speed saw blade is exposed when cutting wood, medium – for plastics (to avoid burning) and aluminum, low – steel, very low for ceramics. Very well, if the jigsaw is equipped with a system of electronic control of the stroke rate.
Don’t forget that at low speeds the engine jigsaws heat much faster and more often he needs to rest.
The sole of the jigsaw
Particular attention should be paid to the sole of the jigsaw (also may be referred to as a base plate or platform).
First, it should be durable. It accounts for a significant load (especially when you firmly press down the jig to the work table during the cutting of hard or thick material). If the sole is deformed or distorted, about the high precision cutting on the scroll saw you can forget. Therefore it is best if it is made of cast metal, not stamped or plastic.
Secondly, the surface of the sole must be as smooth as possible, so as not to scratch the material. As an option, complete with a jigsaw can be sold to a plastic nozzle-a sheath that could cover the working surface of the sole.
The handle, which keeps the jigsaws are of two types: u-and mushroom-shaped.
U-form is inherent to most models produced today.It allows you to hold the jigsaw with one hand (the other one can fix sawn material). Grip handle with u-very reliable, the hand on the jigsaw brand does not cover the review of the cut line.
Given these points, the jigsaw with u-handle is good for use in equipped Studio (on the bench) and home or “field” conditions (when the bench is not).
Mushroom-shaped handle design means that the jigsaw you need to keep two hands: one is on the mushroom ledge from the top of the jigsaw, the second holding body for the knob-shank. This jigsaw firmly fixed in the hands. He’s good at sawing material on an inclined surface.
The specific configuration of the handles ensures that “master-minded” don’t stick your other hand under the saw blade (both of these keep the jigsaw). At the same time, grip jig saw with two hands implies that the material he cuts securely mounted to a workbench or table (hold it’s second hand then it does not work). Therefore, the optimal place of use of this jigsaw workshop or a workshop.
Saw blade holder
The operation of fastening the blade in the jigsaw is made either with a traditional screw clasp or one of the variants of the modern quick-release fastening system. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.
Last “omnivorous” – it is possible to insert the canvas in almost any thickness, but to clamp it to the machine without bias, has required certain skills. The clamping pads are manufactured using the tool – for example, a flat screwdriver or a hexagon.
In Keyless Chuck to change blade no tools required – everything is “bare hands”. With it, you forget what a skewed edge, but inserted into the cartridge, the blade can only clear a certain type and thickness (only the one under which it is made). Note that the snap-lock fastening system typically permits a slight longitudinal backlash of a blade, but clearly to negative this moment cannot be attributed.
Short power cord of the jigsaw significantly limits the “freedom of maneuver”. Optimal cord length needs to be 3-4 meters (option to purchase additional extension cord is much less reliable).
You can also buy a cordless jigsaw that will ensure maximum autonomy. But it must be remembered that the continuous working time of such models is severely limited by the capacity of the battery (charged it, by the way, slowly), and the power of the instrument is less than jigsaws powered by electricity. Cordless jigsaws can be an indispensable tool for working in remote places, but they better to cut only soft materials.
Remember: the saw blade must be straight and sharp! Bent and blunt saws make the additional load on the engine, the material when used excessively heated, and can even burn or melt.
General rule: clean-cut depends on the size of the tooth of the saw. What it is, the faster you can cut and the rougher it will become. The wider the leaf blade, the easier it will be to make a straight cut (the wide blade of “stabilizes” the device in section).
From a properly sized view of the saw blade in a huge degree depends on the quality of the cut. Color-coded saws of different producers to implement on my own, universal symbols there is no focus on them is unwise. Better pay attention to the designation of the steel grade:
- HCS is a flexible carbon steel, the blade of it is suitable for cutting chipboard, softwood, comparable in hardness of materials. When working with laminated particle Board often used the saw with the so-called reverse tooth – they reduce the number of chips on the front side of the sheet;
- HSS – harder steel, the blade is designed for cutting steel, copper, aluminum, hard plastics;
- BIM connection HCS and HSS, which are made of the bimetal blade, characterized by high elasticity and service life.
- HM – hard steel, the blade of which are used for ceramic tile, fiberglass, thin (10 cm) concrete.
- DIA – steel nail file with diamond coating, with its help, sawn granite, and ceramics.
Some additional functions have a significant impact on the cost model – the more, the jigsaw more. Since each of them can significantly facilitate or speed up the sawing, take a closer look.
- Highly desirable is a function of illumination of the cutting line. It becomes essential if you are dealing with a curved, notched cutting. Light bulb mounted in the jigsaw, good lights the surface of the material and set on it the line cut. This not only improves the quality of cutting (it is easier to follow the cut line), but also removes excess strain from the eyes –they don’t need to take it easy to precisely see the location of the cut.
- Significantly increases the accuracy of cutting material in the home fixture, such as a laser pointer. Error “deviation” is thus reduced to the minimum cut will be exactly along the line of the laser beam (of course, if the blade of the jigsaw is sharp and not bent).
- In a huge degree facilitates the cutting of material cleaning of the working surface. It exists in two versions. In the first, the jigsaw itself blows away sawdust from the cutting place, the second to it through a special adapter connects the vacuum cleaner (in this case sawdust into the filter bag inside the vacuum cleaner). Optimally, if the model incorporates both.
- A very useful additional feature can be an option when the sole of the jigsaw can be rotated a number of degrees (usually 45). But there is one important caveat: the sole is in an exposed position should be recorded, that is, solid. If during operation it will “float” at least 2-3 degrees – you will get a skewed cut.
- Soft-start function greatly facilitates the work with delicate materials.
- The saw blade in some modern models of the most popular can be rotated to a certain angle (while it is possible to fix the blade teeth forward, backward, and sideways). This feature is useful during complicated curved cuts.